!( - )

!( - )

January 20, 2014

Gluten-Free Waffle McGriddles




When I went gluten-free about two years ago, one of the (many) things I missed was McGriddles from McDonalds. Of course they always made my stomach hurt when I ate them, but I still missed them…

So my husband figured out this easy gluten-free alternative. No, it’s not exactly the same (it’s not bad for you! ;) but man, is it delicious.



Gluten-Free Waffle McGriddles
(makes 1 depending on how loaded you want it ;)


You’ll need:
2 gluten-free waffles (I used Van’s)
2 eggs
1 tbsp butter
Salt and pepper to taste
ab. 1 tbsp. milk (optional)
Sliced ham
American sandwich cheese slices (or whatever cheese you want)
Syrup

1) Heat the waffles according to the package. I like to toast them in the oven, which takes a little longer. If you microwave them, heat them when everything else is ready so they don’t get cold.

2) Scramble the eggs in a bowl with the salt, pepper, and milk (optional—will make them fluffier). Melt the butter in a skillet to cover the bottom, pour the eggs in the pan and let them fry, then flip over to finish frying. Of course you could use scrambled eggs too, but I prefer the eggs to be a solid piece, which you can cut to whatever size you want.

3) Fry the ham in a separate skillet for just a few minutes until the edges start to brown and curl up.

4) Drizzle syrup on each waffle, then stack the ham, egg, and cheese on one waffle, and put the other waffle on top.



If you’re real ambitious, feel free to make your own waffles. But I’m not that ambitious yet. ;) Also, I’ve tried this with sausage, but it just wasn’t as good as with the ham. I don’t know why. But feel free to try that too! 



And even if you're not gluten-free, this is a great option for when you're stuck at home and can't get to McDonald's. :)

These are perfect for breakfast … or dinner … or a snack (hey, when you're gluten free, you can eat more!) and definitely filling. And it’ll most certainly help with McGriddle withdrawals. :)

P.S. Linking up with What We Eat Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Comments make me happy, and I strive to reply to every one. I almost always reply by email so I can be sure you see my reply, so please make sure you're not a no-reply blogger!