!( - )

!( - )

July 9, 2014

Wellness Wednesday: Healthy ≠ Deprived

There are two recurring things I continue to notice when reading blogs, Facebook posts, Instagrams, you name it: everyone and their mother is on the quest to lose weight, and way too many people equate losing weight and being healthy with depriving themselves of all the foods they love.

It seems to be assumed that we have to cut out every happy food there is and basically trudge through meals of vegetables in order to eat how we ought to.

And the latter bothers me greatly because it is nowhere near the truth.


In last week's Wellness Wednesday post, I shared the "diet" I went on that got me to the weight I need to be and, in the process, made me realize the deliciousness that is to be found in--shocker--healthy foods. I'm talking no gluten, no dairy, no soy, no corn, and no refined sugar, among other less-than-desirable components. I highly recommend taking a look at that post if you haven't and giving the "diet" some consideration.

But if you read that post and think it's just insane, or that you want to start out smaller, like with just cutting out gluten, for instance, I am happy to inform you that eating healthy is not about completely cutting out the foods you love. It's about finding healthy--and just as tasty--equivalents to replace them.

As a society, we are so unbelievably accustomed to convenience and driving by a fast food drive-through to pick up a burger, fries, and pop that it is literally second nature. The problem with that is certainly a whole separate issue in itself and more than I could attempt to cover in a blog post. But we've come to equate eating foods that we all know aren't exactly good for us with deliciousness, almost to the point of writing off the possibility of food that is both delicious and healthy.

In reality, there is pretty much a healthy--and tasty--substitute for anything. For example, you've probably noticed how often I use coconut in my recipes--canned coconut milk for cream, cold coconut milk for regular milk, coconut crystals for refined sugar, coconut oil for ... just about everything under the sun--but there are also tons of other switches that can be made: gluten-free flour for regular flour, sea salt for regular salt, real maple syrup for sugar-filled crap, corn tortillas for flour ones, homemade ice cream (tons of recipes in that department) for store-bought, and really homemade anything for store bought.

The only thing there isn't a healthy equivalent of is pop. Can't help you there--I haven't had it since last fall, and I'm still alive. But there are even healthier versions of candy bars, like this.

My point is this: if you want to eat healthy, yes, you'll need to eat more fruits and vegetables. But eating healthy does not mean no ice cream, no cookies, no pancakes, and no more delicious meals. It's just a matter of implementing healthier versions and sticking to it.

And if I can do that? You bet you can!

And linking up with Wednesday Wishes, I wish the mindset of healthy = deprived could be replaced in our society by the happy truth.

Love the Here and Now

I highly recommend this brilliant young lady's recipes. (Prepare to drool over her Instagram pictures.) She lives for figuring out how to make healthy versions of anything--even Little Debbie snacks!

8 comments:

  1. I am soooo extremely guilty of this--thinking that fast food is the best and healthier choices just can't be as delicious. BUT I've really been trying lately to make the small substitutions. Every little change counts right! Thanks for the encouragement, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true....there are healthier versions of just about anything out there. We just have to try them and experiment with what we like best. I hate fast food and we avoid it at all costs. Leaves you feeling nasty after! Thanks for linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you use coconut oil for?? My mom told me I absolutely had to buy some and now it's just sitting in my pantry....!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Currently I only use coconut oil as an ingredient in a couple of things like these (http://katyavalerajewelry.blogspot.com/2014/06/no-bake-coconut-whipped-cream-pie-with.html and http://katyavalerajewelry.blogspot.com/2014/02/gluten-free-dairy-free-strawberry.html) but I also actually use it to shave with--and it actually works! Here's lots more uses for it (this site is pretty awesome): http://empoweredsustenance.com/10-uses-for-coconut-oil-that-you-havent-tried/

      Delete
  4. This whole deprivation thing is TOTALLY American. I live in Italy and when they want to cut back they just eat more "real" foods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, we've got a few problems as Americans when it comes to food... Thanks for stopping by, Madeline! :)

      Delete
  5. Couldn't agree with you more. After thirty-plus years of dieting, I have learned that the minute I start a diet that deprives me of the food I love, that diet won't last long at all. Moderation is the key. Great post, Kacie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've definitely found this to be true. My husband and I made the choice to stop buying treats that were bad for us, and instead, we allow ourselves to buy treats like plums, nectarines, cherries--those oh-so-delicious fruits! Those seems extra special to us because they're fairly expensive so our families didn't often buy them when we were growing up (hmmm...how many nectarines could 7 kids gobble up in a single day?) but now we're eating healthier and we feel like we're being spoiled with all the fresh produce. Avocados are one of those treats that are a little more expensive, too, but healthy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Comments make me happy, and I strive to reply to every one. I almost always reply by email so I can be sure you see my reply, so please make sure you're not a no-reply blogger!